Monday, May 16, 2011

The End of an Era.......


Well, my last day of teaching was on Friday. I have been teaching for nine years. Seven years in third grade, 1 year in first, and 1 year as ITS/Science Lab professor.

Right now, I can't say I miss it. I feel like it's "Summer Vacation." It will sink in later when I'm out and about running errands.

I'm on modified bed rest from work due to swelling and pain in my legs/feet. I have three weeks to go until this baby gets here. I just can't be on my feet all day. I'm going to use these last days to unpack/organize HME's nursery, make meals, get all my ducks in a row, and enjoy myself before the no sleep sets in for A WHILE.

Emma is still going to the babysitter. It wouldn't be any kind of rest if I were chasing her all around! :) I am having lots of fun and previews of what it's going to be like once I'm a full time stay at home mom.

So, how long will I stay home? No clue. Could be one year, four years, or forever. I don't know right now. I guess we'll roll with it and see how it goes.

So, let me sum up the past nine years using numbers.

I've taught roughly 225 students.
I've graded over a million papers. No way to find out how many, but it feels like millions.
I've averaged grades and done roughly 1,000 report cards.
I've gotten up at 5:30 for roughly 1,620 days.
I've worked for four principals.
I've dealt with about 450 parents (about 20 were high maintenance/annoying/unappreciative).
I've written around 324 weeks of lesson plans.
I've made countless "teacher" friends.
I've made an impact on at least 5 kids. God, I hope it's more than that! :)
I've said, "Zip it dot com" at least 45,875,621,252 times.
I've had multiple recesses spent laughing and gossiping with friends.
I've worked my butt off for nine years. And now, it's time for me to take care of my own kids.

I can't wait. But, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

Updates to follow. I'm super grateful that I have these 8 "school days" to get things ready for baby boy and just RELAX!!!! Then I have to go back and clean up/pack my room up for good!

Sorry for going so long with out a post. I will do better! What have you all been doing? Blogger has been kind of quiet lately.......
xoxo

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, gf!! Remember last year when you thought this day would NEVER get here? I can understand the anxiety of not knowing what the future holds, but this has been your dream since I've known you, and I know you will be one happy mama!

    Enjoy your rest before HME gets here, stay off those tired mama feet, and I will novella you soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy your time before baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting! I think you'll really enjoy it! I hope I can do the same thing one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo excited that you are out of school! I think you will love it! and i will certainly love your new schedule! I cant wait to see that boy and snuggle up my neema!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you. I thought I wanted to stay home for a while but weirdly, I missed the whole working-in-a-school thing. There's nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am smiling and happy for you! You are going to do great! I can't wait to "meet" HME! You are going to rock this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you:) And, I know how it feels too. I only taught for half of what you did, but I will say, there was a mourning process a couple months after I left. I still get twinges of sad-ness, missing it. But I don't regret it. Once a teacher, always a teacher, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! Enjoy this time!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on this dealio yo! I know you've wanted to do this for a long time. I'm glad you're at this point. Loves to you, em, and HME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be honest--I'm pretty jealous you get to stay home. Hopefully you love it, and if you don't, then you can figure that out too. How nice that you have the flexibility!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!