Friday, July 5, 2013

Zoo Atlanta and Cumming Aquatic Center ("Fieldtrips!")

About a month ago, we met up with one of my best hoochies from college, Emily!

Now, those of you familiar with Atlanta know how the "closeness" is. Emily lives in Decatur, I live in Sugar Hill. She is about 5 minutes from downtown Atl, and I'm about 40 minutes north of downtown. So, although we live in roughly the same area, it's dang hard to hang with the Atlanta traffic and roads!

We planned a trip to Zoo Atlanta with Emily and her kiddos Kirkland and Harrison and had a blast! We also met up with her neighbor and his two girls.

We  had a great time catching up and playing!


Haha! The Lion King has arrived!




Oh my. Emma mounting a gorilla.




Harrison riding the choo-choo train. His highlight of the trip!



We had a great time seeing our zoo and hanging with a great friend!

A few days (a week??) later, we went to the Cumming Aquatic Center. It has just opened up to the public and is very cool! We met a few friends and their kids there. I looked online and noticed it was a zero entry and had a cool playground in the water. I knew Emma would have a blast! Harrison is more interested in snacks on the chair at this point!

So Emma was playing in the 2-3 feet of water  and I was watching her while feeding Harrison graham crackers. Emma had on an obnoxiously big white bow, so I was able to track her by finding that.

Can't see the bow, but look at those LONG LEGS!  Harrison is mesmerized, lol!!

Anyway, Emma was walking around, swimming, playing, etc. I looked up to find her, and saw her bobbing up and down in about 4 feet of water. Little hands scrambling to grab the side of the pool. No life jacket on. Because it was  a zero entry pool that was not deep-according to the internet. Luckily, I was watching her. Luckily, I saw her, TWO FEET from a lifeguard, fighting for air. I jumped up, fully clothed, ran through the water, and DOVE onto her and grabbed her. 

I cannot EVEN IMAGINE if I was letting the lifeguards watch her while I gossiped or snacked with Harrison. Literally. She would be gone. I'm sure of it. She was SO CLOSE to help. So close to the side. They were scanning long range, not under their feet. I grabbed her, and then all of the parents on the side of the pool were like, "whaaaa just happened?" I was not sure. I started having a panic attack, in the pool, fully clothed, thinking about how my baby girl almost drowned. We got out, calmed down, then talked to the head lifeguard. 

We haven't been back since. But, we will. With a freaking heavy duty life jacket. Be cautious, folks. Be diligent. Cause it only takes a few seconds, and you wouldn't even know. Stay vigilant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!