Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Harrison gets tubes

Harrison was diagnosed with another double ear infection on Monday. This is his tenth one in ten months. I was so done-I had a mini breakdown in the pediatrician's office. Then, I called his ENT and said let's do this. Let's get tubes so my baby can feel better and stop getting sick all the time. Thankfully, he does surgery on Wednesdays, so he fit us in and today we went down to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta for the surgery. At 5:00 am. Surgery at 7:50 and we had to be there by 6:00. We live about 30 minutes away and there is never any telling about Atlanta traffic. Yikes. Harrison didn't know what was happening-when we got there at 6:00 am, he was just glad to see a playroom in the waiting room.

Playing in the waiting room.

 Pitiful. I hate seeing my babies in hospital gowns. Hope to never again! 
He was playing with some "tools" he chose out of the treasure chest for taking his nebulizer.


These little pre-op rooms were perfect! We got in ours around 6:45, and to wait for awhile, they thought of it all! Basketball hoops, a box of toys, TV, a little bed. Boyfriend was having fun!

He did great until anesthesia. I thought he would be wigging out because he couldn't have any food or drink, but he played and chilled.  I took him back to the OR and held his little hand and sang to him while they put him under. PS-that was the most NON FUN thing I've ever done. So pitiful! But it was quick.

I went and got a coke, used the bathroom, texted Jason, and then the surgeon came in! Wow! Maybe 15 minutes? A minute later, I heard a cry that I knew belonged to my heart. Sweet boy rolled in and was pissed! I got some snuggles and then just loved him up while he came out of anesthesia.

After a few more minutes of crying with his eyes closed (heart wrenching), he opened his eyes, saw me, cried, then pounded a huge cup of juice. We got our stuff together and left!

I set him up in the car with juice, teddy grahams, a Thomas movie, snuggly blanket, and he was all happy for 5 minutes. Then, I looked back and saw this.

Sweetest angel

He slept all 40 minutes home, and I even was able to transfer him to bed without him waking. That never happens! He's been asleep for 3 1/2 hours now. I am sure he will be feisty when he wakes up, but I have him some soup and grilled cheese and applesauce all ready.

Here's to hoping my sweet boy feels better by tonight! And maybe I can take him to his school feast tomorrow! Thank you all for saying prayers for him this morning! They were felt!

*Update-I started this post during nap time, and when Harrison woke up, he was his old self! He killed his lunch, played, layed down for a while and had quiet time, ate a good dinner, and had a bath (with earplugs!) He was ready for bed at 7:30 and went right down! He's back! Going to school tomorrow for the feast!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for sharing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.teddy bears


Thanks for taking the time to comment!