Thursday, January 19, 2012

Naturally

Since I went GF, I have been thinking more and more about the things I put into my body, and the things I surround myself and my family with. I have a long way to go to get to where I need and want to be. My goal is to have a safe and naturally clean home.

I am, by nature, a very clean and organized person. It's not something I really have to work at. I like things to be clean and organized, and it's easy for me to do it and just get it done. Do I let things go with two kids? Absolutely. But when they are down for naps or bed, I'll get the tidying and other stuff done, because it's important to me. It makes me feel calm and relaxed. I know some of you can relate.

Lately, I have been making a lot of my own products. Laundry detergent, fabric softener, dishwasher detergent, baby food, yogurt mixtures, etc. Some have been to save money, and others are just because I want to do the best I can for my kids. And as a SAHM, I have a lot more time to get those things done. Trust me, I understand the working mom and not having time {mine was not wanting to make time} to do things like make baby food or create cleaning products. You have a JOB and then come home to your second job.

Anyway, I love reading Megan's tips about natural products. I would love to hear some natural things from you regarding cleaning and home care.

Right now, the main things I want to work on switching over are:

*Dish soap {like Dawn}. I hand wash all pots, pans, and cookie sheets, so I use this frequently. I know there are natural brands, but do you recommend one over the other or do you have a homemade recipe?
*Clorox wipes. God, do I love these things. I buy them in BULK {8 pack at a time} and use at LEAST 15 wipes per day. Minimum. I know there are the Greenworks brand, but the containers are so SMALL and they're so expensive. I don't use paper towels a lot, only to dry my hands occasionally. So, what do you clean/disinfect your counter tops/highchairs with? I will still have to use something like this for the toilet seats though! Ewww.
*Bathroom cleaner-I use some form of Clorox foaming bathroom cleaner for sinks, tubs, and showers. What is better?
*Windex-what else can I use?
*Floors-hopefully I'll be the owner of a new Shark Steam Mop after my birthday tomorrow!!! Only water, no chemicals!
*When vacuuming my floors, I use baking soda instead of scented Glade or other products that you pour into the carpet to help it smell better.

The main thing is, I don't want to/can't spend a lot of money on cleaning products. I've seen the Shaklee bit, and while all natural and quite interesting, it's too expensive for me. I use a lot of cleaning products. Any Shaklee users out there? Wanna give me a testimonial and free products to review? :)

With the kids, we have quit using Johnson and Johnson soaps, lotions, and pretty much anything they make. We use Aveeno bath soap and lotion. I should probably look them up on some website to make sure they're all good, but I'm pretty sure they don't have formaldehyde or other heinous chemicals in them. Ok, just came back from looking and it seems that J&J may own Aveeno too? I need to go read the ingredients stat and decide what else we can use if it contains the nasty chemicals like dioxane and formaldehyde. What do you all use for soap/shampoo/lotion on your kids? Also, Emma now needs conditioner. Any natural ones you can recommend?

SO. That's where I am right now. I have many things to change to make me feel like my kids and family aren't getting exposed to multiple chemicals, but I'm on the road. I would LOVE to hear your suggestions and feedback.

Thank you!


7 comments:

  1. It's so hard trying to be a good parent AND be frugal and balanced isn't it?? I feel ya. I use a lot of Shaklee actually and a lot of their stuff comes out cheaper since they sell it in concentrate. A $12 bottle of the Basic H concentrate is like a gazillion regular bottles. I use a paper towel and the basic H spray to clean counters/highchairs/sinks/toilets etc. I use the little round tub heavier cleaner for the bathtub, and I use 7th generation for the inside of the toilet. I also use 7th generation for my dishwasher detergent. I didn't think 7th generation was too bad esp when you can buy in bulk and save money per item.
    For my one year old I use California Baby that I got online, but I think they sell it in Target too. My older two just use Suave and Dove.

    Good luck!! And don't be too hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to stalk the comments bc trying to do the same. I'm going with cali baby and I can't think of the other right now. Not buying aveeno bc they are owned by j&j. Might start using dove for henry? Green works all purpose spray works really well. Post about baby food making...about to start soon & clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have books out there on how to use Vinegar to clean just about everything. We got one for Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using the Shaklee products. I got in at a good time when they offered free membership so I went for it. I do like that the basic H for all the cleaners lasts forever! I use it for the multi purpose cleaner and glass cleaner. I still use paper towels when I clean the kitchen and bathroom because those are places where I want disposable products. But I do have reusable cloths for glass & dusting. I also use the basic H in the sprayer for my floor cleaner. It's mixed with water and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burt's bees Baby wash works for us, but sometimes I use j and j bc we have a ton in the house still and I love the smell. I read Megan's blog and took her advice on the baby products. Need to improve on our wipes though. Pampers sensitive of rus and I can find ones I like as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J&j owns aveeno and they have parables in their products. I just threw away at least $100 worth of their products because of it:( I've been using Burt's bees instead. Smells yummy too. For cleaning we've been using baking soda and vinegar to clean bathrooms. It's super cheap and works great. They have some ideas on pinterest about how to infuse your vinegar with orange if you don't like the smell, etc. works great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn auto correct that was supposed to be "parabens"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!