Thursday, September 23, 2010
Anyone who knows me (closely) knows that I am the most non confrontational person ever when it comes down to actually confronting people. I talk a big game, but I HATE confrontation. It makes me nervous. I twitch. I will tell other people all kinds of stuff to say to the person that wronged them, and explain why they should say it. But very rarely do I say anything to people when they make me mad. They know I'm mad/irritated/annoyed, but I don't say, "You did this and I'm pissed!" Or, "that's wrong, etc."
I say all of this to say-I love Twitter like no one's business. I am on it about 78,429 times per day. However, things can be misconstrued on Twitter just like email. You can't tell tone. You can't tell what people really mean like you could if you were having an actual conversation.
I have read several tweets lately that have made my blood boil. But I have held my tongue. Today, however, I cannot do it. I am a little riled up and have had some convos with other people (IRL) who agree with me. I need to address some things that have been tweeted, and I'm not going to apologize in advance for maybe offending you.
I'm not trying to be bitchy or whatever, but I have an opinion too, and here it is.
In which the educational system is attacked for failing inner city kids who can't spell.
I have been teaching for 9 years, and I have heard the blame put on education for so long I can't even count it anymore. Much less take it. People are looking for someone or something to blame. But let me tell you this-out of all the teachers in the world, roughly 90% of them are teaching their hearts out, busting their butts, working so hard for so little, just the reward of a kid one day saying thank you. The other 10% probably are just shitty teachers who don't do their job. But like it or lump it, that doesn't classify the "educational system" as crap. I teach my butt off everyday, and I STILL have kids who can't spell, read, add, etc. I taught the bejesus out of it, and nothing I do is going to make it happen. Maybe they have a learning disability, maybe they have a low SES, maybe they have no support at home, maybe they have a low IQ. Kids don't get everything we teach them. They struggle. They work hard too. But, just because a kid can't do something doesn't mean it's because the education system failed them.
End rant. If I need to bust out more research and other guest authors, I will, But this is something that is non negotiable for me. Don't attack education-we are trying to do good!
Number Two: In which mothers that formula feed are basically attacked due to the beetle thing. For the love of Similac.
This is a really tough one for me. It started of with @mckmama tweeting, "Happy that breastmilk isn't being recalled due to beetle parts." Then some other peeps chimed in, basically saying the same thing. I'm sorry, but that is uncalled for. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but that screams to me, "I breastfeed so I don't have to worry about a formula recall. If you use formula, sucks for you!" And, the thing that really bothers me about this is that she has had issues with breastfeeding and milk production and has to turn elsewhere. NOT everyone can breastfeed. I know all boobs make milk, I'm talking about actual suckage and production here. And DON'T tell me that you can all make enough-cause you can't, and I'm proof! I was on a milk production drug for 5 months, even though you shouldn't take it longer than 3 months! Sometimes it doesn't work out. So, if people have to use formula, should we judge them and make them feel like shitty people when the formula gets recalled?
Emma is on whole milk (6 oz) plus 2 oz of Similac formula. We are gradually weaning her off the formula to get to the full 8 oz of whole milk. Does this mean I suck? NO!
I have had numerous tweet convos with people about this. A lot of people are buzzing about how moms JUDGE the bejesus out of each other. We are the best support for each other. I hear it constantly-why do we tear each other down and judge?
It just makes me sad.
So, next time you tweet or email, maybe think about the phrasing of what you are saying. I'm not saying to censor yourself or your thoughts, but maybe consider how you could make other people feel when you say certain things.
PS-girlfriend who made the comment about education-I wrote her back. And I think she reads my blog. But she knows that I'm just defending my shiz, just like she would. :D Hi, Katie!
What do you all think about this? Not just the specific comments (although feedback is welcome-you don't have to agree with me!) But the way social media has skewed our intent...........
Posted by Susannah at 6:30 PM