Sunday, November 8, 2009

Winner! And Two Recipes



UPDATE: EDIT: Laura S. from Wringing out my Sponge is the winner. Apparently I need to identify my friends in gmail before posting. :D

OK, we have a Sunday Sayings winner! Laura from Groovin with the Grizas correctly identified the quote from Seth on Superbad! Great job Laura, you will get your prize over Thanksgiving-when I come to see you! :D BTW, if you haven't read Laura's blog, get your tushy over there-she is my bestie IRL and is ha-larious!

Next, I have had several people wanting the hashbrown casserole recipe. Here are two that I consistently make and devour.

My dear friend b.e.g. said she had never heard of hashbrown casserole. She wondered if it was a Southern thing. My dear, it is! And it's Paula Deen's favorite food! Butter, cheese, sausage-what's not to love!?!?!?


From Epicurious (my personal fave)

Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole

1 Lb breakfast sausage
2 T all purpose flour
2 C fat free milk and half/half (2 C total-I say this because I split it-1 C ff milk, 1 C half/half)
1 Lb package frozen hashbrowns
4 green onions
1 1/4 C grated sharp cheddar (I always use more cheese on everything)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 8x8 baking dish. Cook sausage and drain. Mix in flour, then milk and half/half. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to boil, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes.

Arrange potatoes in prepared dish. Top with 1/3 of green onions, 1 C cheese, 1/3 green onions, sausage mixture and remaining 1/4 C cheese.

Bake casserole until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve. Serves 6-yeah right-we can eat this in 2 days.

Other version-tastes like Cracker Barrel's hashbrown casserole-freaking delish!
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz Colby cheese, grated
1/2 C melted butter
1 small onion minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Lb bag frozen hashbrowns (you do not really need this much)

Spray a 9x13 casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine soup, cheese, butter, onion, salt and pepper. Gently fold the potatoes into the mixture and pour into the casserole dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes until top is browned.

Either recipe can be lightened up by using low fat cheese, low fat sausage, low fat cream of chicken soup, etc. And, my mommy just informed me that there is such a thing as fat free half/half. And it tastes the same (according to her.) I shall have to get my mitts on that!

Love and a heart attack on a plate!
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. OOoh, so you can use the crumbly brown bits from the sausage that are leftover to make the flour-milk mix as the base of the casserole? OMG. That's like, my favorite part. I may need to make that for dinner on Sunday - we usually do breakfast for dinner. Thank you for posting this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhhhmmmmmmm cassssssssserole......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!